I haven't posted in a while but I have been making steady progress on the layout. The basic ground cover is done and looking pretty good.
I had a mishap a few weeks ago when I tried to ballast part of the track. The ballast I used was a nice light grey collour when dry, but after the glue hit it, it turned coal-black and stayed like that after drying. Unfortunately I didn't do a test area and had already done a huge area of track. I scraped off as much as I could with a wire brush, and although it's not completely gone it doesn't look that bad, especially after the ties have been painted.
The road and village areas need some touch-ups and most of the track still needs to be painting, but I think it's coming along quite well.